MPIWG

disease, causes of

In the largely humoral model of medicine predominant in the early modern period, disease causation was very different to what it is today. There was no germ theory; the causes of ill-health were usually described in relation to an individual’s humoral balance, although a very small set of diseases, such as the so-called French pox and the plague were seen as contagious.

There are 121 books tagged with this term.

Last Name First Name Title Sort descending Date
Lovell Robert Panzōoryktologia. Sive Panzoologicomineralogia. Or a compleat history of animals and minerals, containing the summe of… 1661
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, An exercitation of the operations of medicines in humane bodies. Shewing the… 1679
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, An exercitation of the operations of medicines in humane bodies. Shewing the… 1679
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, an exercitation of the operations of medicines… 1679
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, The operations of medicines in humane bodies. The second part. With copper… 1684
Drage William Physical experiments being a plain description of the causes, signes, and cures of most diseases… 1668
Platter Felix Platerus golden practice of physick: fully and plainly discovering, I. All the kinds. II. The… 1664
Sennert Daniel Practical physick: or, Five distinct treatises of the most predominant diseases of these times. The… 1676
Sennert Daniel Practical physick: or, five distinct treatises of the most predominant diseases of these times. The… 1679
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the first book, in three parts. Part I. Of diseases of the head… 1662
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the fourth book in three parts. Part I. Of the diseases of the… 1664
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the second book, in four parts. Part I. Of the diseases of the… 1662
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the third book, in fourteen parts[.] Part I. Of diseases of the stomach… 1662
Johnson Robert Praxis medicinæ reformata ... The practice of physick reformed 1700
Sibbald Robert Scotland illustrated: or, An essay of natural history, in which are exquisitely displayed the nature… 1684
Holland Henry Spirituall preseruatiues against the pestilence: Or A treatise containing sundrie questions both concerning the causes… 1593
Cooke James Supplementum chirurgiæ or The supplement to the marrow of chyrurgerie 1655
Thomson George Syrma ortho chymicum: a small piece separated from The direct method of curing chymically… 1675
Bayfield Robert Tes iatrikes kartos: or A treatise de morborum capitis essentiis & pronosticis 1663
Diemerbroeck Ysbrand van The anatomy of human bodies, comprehending the most modern discoveries and curiosities in that art… 1689
Harvey Gideon The art of curing diseases by expectation 1689
Harvey Gideon The art of curing diseases by expectation: with remarks on a supposed great case of… 1689
Andrews William The astrological physitian 1656
Harris John The divine physician 1676
Harris John The divine physician: prescribing rules for the prevention, and cure of most diseases, as well… 1676
Frémont d’Ablancourt Nicolas The doctors physician: or, Dialogues concerning health· Translated out of the original French… 1685
Bauderon Brice The expert phisician... 1657
Salmon William The family dictionary; or, Houshold companion: containing, in an alphabetical method, I. Directions for cookery… 1696
Salmon William The family-dictionary; or, Household companion: Containing, in an alphabetical method, I. Directions for cookery… 1696
Salmon William The family-dictionary; or, Houshold companion: containing, in an alphabetical method, I. Directions for cookery… 1696