MPIWG

disease, causes of

In the largely humoral model of medicine predominant in the early modern period, disease causation was very different to what it is today. There was no germ theory; the causes of ill-health were usually described in relation to an individual’s humoral balance, although a very small set of diseases, such as the so-called French pox and the plague were seen as contagious.

There are 121 books tagged with this term.

Last Name First Name Title Date Sort descending
Lovell Robert Panzōoryktologia. Sive Panzoologicomineralogia. Or a compleat history of animals and minerals, containing the summe of… 1661
Sennert Daniel T]hirteen books of natural philosophy: viz. I. Of the principles, and common adjuncts of… 1661
Rivière Lazare The practice of physick, wherein is plainly set forth, the nature, cause, differences, and several… 1661
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the first book, in three parts. Part I. Of diseases of the head… 1662
Cooke James Mellificium chirurgiæ, or the marrovv of many good authors enlarged 1662
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the second book, in four parts. Part I. Of the diseases of the… 1662
Platter Felix A golden practice of physick. In five books, and three tomes. After a new, easie… 1662
Sennert Daniel The sixth book of Practical physick. Of occult or hidden diseases; in nine parts Part… 1662
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the third book, in fourteen parts[.] Part I. Of diseases of the stomach… 1662
Bayfield Robert Tes iatrikes kartos: or A treatise de morborum capitis essentiis & pronosticis 1663
[author not specified] The physitian’s library, containing all the works of the most famous physitians following, viz. Dan… 1663
Rivière Lazare The practice of physick, wherein is plainly set forth the nature, cause, differences, and several… 1663
Rivière Lazare The practice of physick, wherein is plainly set forth the nature, cause, differences, and several… 1664
Platter Felix Platerus golden practice of physick: fully and plainly discovering, I. All the kinds. II. The… 1664
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the fourth book in three parts. Part I. Of the diseases of the… 1664
Gadbury John London’s deliverance predicted: in a short discourse shewing the cause of plagues in general; and… 1665
Rivière Lazare The practice of physick, wherein is plainly set forth the nature, the nature, cause, differences… 1665
[author not specified] The mourning-cross... Containing the certain causes of pestilential diseases… 1665
[author not specified] The mourning-cross... Containing the certain causes of pestilential diseases… 1665
Drage William Daimonomageia. A small treatise of sicknesses and diseases from witchcraft, and supernatural causes. Never before… 1665
Lovell Robert Pambotanologia. Sive, Enchiridion botanicum. Or, A compleat herball, containing the summe of ancient and moderne… 1665
Drage William Daimonomageia. A small treatise of sicknesses and diseases from witchcraft, and supernatural causes. Never before… 1665
Rivière Lazare The practice of physick, wherein is plainly set forth the nature, cause, differences, and several… 1666
Twysden John Medicina veterum vindicata: or An ansvver to a book, entitled Medela medicinæ; in which the… 1666
Rivière Lazare The practice of physick in seventeen several books wherein is plainly set forth the nature… 1668
Drage William Physical experiments being a plain description of the causes, signes, and cures of most diseases… 1668
[author not specified] An account of the causes of some particular rebellious distempers, viz. the scurvy, cancers in… 1670
Archer John Every man his own doctor[.] Compleated with an herbal 1671
Galen Galen’s Art of physick: wherein is laid down, 1. A description of bodies, healthful, unhealthful… 1671
Archer John Every man his own doctor. In two parts 1671