MPIWG

surgery

Surgery in the early modern period does not mean operative surgery, as it does today, but a wider range of practice focused on the exterior of the body. Surgeons dealt with wounds, swellings, discharges, broken bones, and dislocations. They were also the healers most often involved in the treatment of venereal diseases, in part due the the external’ nature of the signs.

There are 234 books tagged with this term.

Last Name Sort descending First Name Title Date
Wecker Johann Jakob A compendious chyrurgerie: gathered, & translated (especially) out of Wecker, at the request of certaine, but… 1585
Wiseman Richard Several chirurgical treatises. By Richard Wiseman, serjeant-chirurgeon… 1686
Wiseman Richard Several chirurgical treatises, on these following heads, viz. I. Of tumours. II. Of ulcers. III… 1692
Wiseman Richard Severall chirurgicall treatises. By Richard Wiseman, serjeant-chirurgeon… 1676
Wiseman Richard Eight chirurgical treatises, on these following heads, viz. I. Of tumours. II. Of ulcers. III… 1697
Wiseman Richard A treatise of wounds by Richard Wiseman… 1672
Wiseman Richard Eight chirurgical treatises, on these following heads, viz. I. Of tumours. II. Of ulcers. III… 1696
Woodall John The surgions mate, or A treatise discouering faithfully and plainely the due contents of the… 1617
Woodall John The surgeons mate or Military & domestique surgery. Discouering faithfully & plainly ye method and order of… 1639
Woodall John The surgeons mate or Military & domestique surgery. Discouering faithfully & plainly ye method and order of… 1655
Woodall John Woodalls viaticum: the path-way to the surgions chest. Containing chirurgicall instrvctions for the yonger… 1628
Würtz Felix The surgeons guid: or Military and domestique surgery. Discovering plainly and faithfully the exact cures… 1658
Würtz Felix An experimental treatise of surgerie, in four parts. 1. The first part shewing the dangerous… 1656
Yonge James Observations in chyrurgery and anatomy. With a refutation of divers mistakes and vulgar errors in… 1692
Yonge James Medicaster medicatus, or a Remedy for the itch of scribling· The first part. Written by… 1685
Yonge James Observations in chyrurgery and anatomy: with a refutation of divers mistakes and vulgar errors in… 1687
Yonge James Wounds of the brain proved curable, not only by the opinion and experience of many… 1682
Yonge James Medicaster medicatus, or a remedy for the itch of scribling. The first part. Written by… 1685
Yonge James Currus triumphalis, è terebinthô. Or An account of the many admirable vertues of oleum terebinthinæ… 1679
[author not specified] The physitian’s library, containing all the works of the most famous physitians following, viz. Dan… 1663
[author not specified] The Art of chirurgery explained in six parts part I. Of tumors, in forty six… 1663
[author not specified] Medicina curiosa: Or, a variety of new communications in physick, chirurgery, and anatomy, from the… 1684
[author not specified] The practyse of cyrurgyons of Mountpyller 1540
[author not specified] Chymical, medicinal, and chyrurgical addresses 1655