MPIWG

disease, causes of

In the largely humoral model of medicine predominant in the early modern period, disease causation was very different to what it is today. There was no germ theory; the causes of ill-health were usually described in relation to an individual’s humoral balance, although a very small set of diseases, such as the so-called French pox and the plague were seen as contagious.

There are 121 books tagged with this term.

Last Name Sort descending First Name Title Date
Sennert Daniel The institutions or fundamentals of the whole art, both of physick and chirurgery, divided into… 1656
Sennert Daniel Nine books of physick and chirurgery written by that great and learned physitian, Dr Sennertus… 1658
Sennert Daniel Practical physick: or, five distinct treatises of the most predominant diseases of these times. The… 1679
Sennert Daniel Two treatises. The first, of the venereal pocks: Wherein is shewed, I. The name and… 1660
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the fourth book in three parts. Part I. Of the diseases of the… 1664
Sennert Daniel The sixth book of Practical physick. Of occult or hidden diseases; in nine parts Part… 1662
Sennert Daniel T]hirteen books of natural philosophy: viz. I. Of the principles, and common adjuncts of… 1661
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the third book, in fourteen parts[.] Part I. Of diseases of the stomach… 1662
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the first book, in three parts. Part I. Of diseases of the head… 1662
Sennert Daniel Practical physick: or, Five distinct treatises of the most predominant diseases of these times. The… 1676
Sennert Daniel Practical physick; the second book, in four parts. Part I. Of the diseases of the… 1662
Sennert Daniel Two treatises. The first, of the venereal pox. Wherein is shewed, I. The name and… 1673
Sermon William A friend to the sick: or, The honest English mans preservation. Shewing the causes, symptoms… 1673
Sibbald Robert Scotland illustrated: or, An essay of natural history, in which are exquisitely displayed the nature… 1684
Thomson George Syrma ortho chymicum: a small piece separated from The direct method of curing chymically… 1675
Tuthill Francis A vindication of some objections lately raised against Dr. John Colbatch his hipothesis. Together with… 1698
Twysden John Medicina veterum vindicata: or An ansvver to a book, entitled Medela medicinæ; in which the… 1666
Willis Thomas Dr. Willis’s practice of physick, being the whole works of that renowned and famous physician… 1684
Willis Thomas Dr. Willis’s practice of physick, being all the medical vvorks of that renowned and famous… 1681
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, The operations of medicines in humane bodies. The second part. With copper… 1684
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, An exercitation of the operations of medicines in humane bodies. Shewing the… 1679
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, an exercitation of the operations of medicines… 1679
Willis Thomas Pharmaceutice rationalis: or, An exercitation of the operations of medicines in humane bodies. Shewing the… 1679
Willis Thomas An essay of the pathology of the brain and nervous stock: in which convulsive diseases… 1684
Wolsterstan Stanford An enquiry into the causes of diseases in general and the disturbances of the humors… 1692
[author not specified] An account of the causes of some particular rebellious distempers, viz. the scurvy, cancers in… 1670
[author not specified] The Red-Crosse: or, Englands Lord haue mercy vpon vs 1625
[author not specified] The Red-crosse 1636
[author not specified] The physitian’s library, containing all the works of the most famous physitians following, viz. Dan… 1663
[author not specified] The mourning-cross... Containing the certain causes of pestilential diseases… 1665