MPIWG

venereal disease

Venereal disease came to Europeans’ attention in a new way in the late fifteenth century, when what the English were to call the French Pox first appeared in Europe during a siege of Naples. This ailment, which bears some relation to our modern diagnosis of syphilis, ravaged Europe, killing people quickly and fearsomely. Other disease spread by sexual relations were also known, although they do not always map well onto modern categories.

There are 104 books tagged with this term.

Last Name Sort ascending First Name Title Date
Wynell John Lues venerea. Wherein the names, nature, subject, causes, signes, and cure, are handled. Mistakes in… 1660
Wynell John Lues venerea. Wherein the names, nature, subject, causes, signes, and cure, are handled. Mistakes in… 1670
Wynell John Lues venera. Or, a perfect cure of the French pox: wherein the names, nature, subject… 1660
Wright Andrew This day is publish’d, Venus deceiv’d, or, an account of the seat, and nature of… 1680
Wiseman Richard Eight chirurgical treatises, on these following heads, viz. I. Of tumours. II. Of ulcers. III… 1696
Wiseman Richard Several chirurgical treatises. By Richard Wiseman, serjeant-chirurgeon… 1686
Wiseman Richard Several chirurgical treatises, on these following heads, viz. I. Of tumours. II. Of ulcers. III… 1692
Wiseman Richard Severall chirurgicall treatises. By Richard Wiseman, serjeant-chirurgeon… 1676
Wiseman Richard Eight chirurgical treatises, on these following heads, viz. I. Of tumours. II. Of ulcers. III… 1697
Whitaker Tobias An elenchus of opinions concerning the cure of the small pox. Together with problematicall questions… 1661
Wall W. A new system of the French disease. With an easy and familiar method of curing… 1696
Tilborgh James By Doctor James Tilborgh, famous ... for curing the French pox... 1675
T. J. The hunting of the pox: a pleasant discourse betweene the authour, and pild-garlicke. Wherein… 1619
Stubbe Henry The Indian nectar, or A discourse concerning chocolata: wherein the nature of cacao-nut, and… 1662
Spinke John Dr. Spinke’s new treatise of the venereal disease, wherein its cause, nature, signs, dangerous effects… 1700
Spinke John A most certain, safe and speedy method of curing the French disease, without fluxing, danger… 1700
Spinke John At the Golden-Ball in Duke-Street in the Old-Artillery without Bishops gate, advice… 1700
Shirley John A short compendium of chirurgery: containing its grounds & principles. More particularly treating of imposthumes, wounds… 1678
Shirley John A short compendium of chirurgery: containing its grounds & principles, more particularly treating of impostumes, wounds… 1683
Sennert Daniel The sixth book of Practical physick. Of occult or hidden diseases; in nine parts Part… 1662
Sennert Daniel Two treatises. The first, of the venereal pox. Wherein is shewed, I. The name and… 1673
Sennert Daniel Two treatises. The first, of the venereal pocks: Wherein is shewed, I. The name and… 1660
S. L. Prothylantinon, or, Some considerations of a notable expedient to root out the French pox from… 1673
Rivers The true symptoms of a clap or pox with its cure, by Dr. Rivers; at… 1700
Rivers for all venereal maladies. By Dr. Rivers, who, by this assiduous care and daily practice… 1700
Peter Charles A description of the venereal disease: declaring the causes, signs, effects, and cure thereof. With… 1675
Peter Charles A description of the venereal disease: declaring the causes, signs, effects, and cure thereof. With… 1678
Peter Charles New observations on the lues venerea… 1695
Peter Charles New observations on the venereal disease, with the true way of curing the same. The… 1695
Peter Charles New observations on the venereal disease, with the true way of curing the same. The… 1695